Saturday, September 5, 2009

First Post: September 5, 2009

It may take me a bit to figure this out. I could write so much that has happened in the last few weeks..as I have undergone a complete life change! But I will have to summarize!

August 18th I left........my ENORMOUS family which I love so dearly, my friends who sent me leaving with great celebrations and encouragement, my house which has been my ball and chain...but so charming and secure, my job which has been my stability, my daily 5 mile loop bridge run that clears my head, my cat Willow whom I have had since my very first year of teaching.....more or less a pretty stable and predictable life that has been good:)...with ofcourse a few ups and downs. Probably the hardest part..has been leaving friends, family and coworkers that have been such a strong support system for me.

So here I am now..in Milan, Italy........I missed my connection flight and spent a day in Paris...no not visiting the Eiffel Tower....more or less people watching at the airport for about 10 hours. I was in absolute awe at what men and women were wearing. I knew at that moment my R.E.I. Teva's probably were not going to cut it in the European Fashion world. Honestly...the jeans were tight,tight,tight...especially the men's!!! Even older men. I saw several women carrying their very young babies in four inch stilettos..no joke. Really everyone looked pretty good.

I missed the first day activities for all of the new teachers and was quite exhausted as I spent nine hours on a flight next to a professional wakeboarder who was on his way to Berth to be some judge....who wouldn't stop talking and then ten hours in the airport.

We spent the next several days learning the basics about Italy and our school. One thing I learned fast...is that the food is delicious...and quite a bit. The wine flows like water and more or less you just keep eating and drinking. I am loving the cheese, the meat, the pizza,the grilled veggies, the wine and the brioche(or the nutella inside it). I am sure at some point I will describe the food because I am in heaven. The weird part is I am not gaining weight...I don't know if it's because of the freshness of the food or my stress. But I have been eating a ton.

I was in shock I think for a couple of days with new everything. New people, new community, new job,new apartment, new culture, new language.................VERY,VERY,VERY hot and humid.I have now been here for a couple of weeks and I still have sooo much to learn bt I don't think I can ever quite explain the first couple of days. So much adrenaline and excitement..yet a little fear kicked in.

I will have to describe the school at a later post. But it's very nice. What I am impressed by so much is that I only have 13 students in my class...the kids get to go to Italian everyday and then they go to Art, computers, music and p.e. once a week. We also have a science teacher that will teach the kids. The school is in a suburb of Milano called Noverasco which is within a community called Opera which is right outside of Milan. It sits right next to a golf course so some of the classrooms and the teacher's lounge have a very nice view. On a sunny day you can see the Italian Alps.....I haven't seen them much yet...but one morning I glanced out my window and they reminded me of the Olympics. I guess being from the NW you are used to having the breathtaking mtns all around. But it's the same way as the peninsula with mtns all over.

In August, Italians take the month off. Yes....seriously the shops close and the city or community vacates....empty. I have been thinking it is so quiet and I didn't really quite fully understand how the town shuts down....the city. I kept asking where did everyone go? They....were at the beach. The shops are now all open and the people are everywhere. Bustling and excitement all around. And everyone is tan as most people really did leave to go to the beach for the full month of August.

And it is true...the people in Milan are dressed to a ten.Not just the models....everyone. The women everywhere are always dressed up.

I just moved right into the city. I have internet today at the apartment..........I am so excited about being in Milano. So I take a short bus ride from the school,,the 222. Then I hop on a train/tram the 24 for just a few minutes. Then I hop on another bus. Last night, I met a group of girls near the Duomo for appertivo. So I hopped on the subway which is only about 2 blocks away and 4 stops later I was a the Duomo which is the center of the city.The city is built all around the center.

My roommate is from Naples and teaches Italian at the high school so I am hoping to learn the language. It's not easy..I am clueless right now..I didn't make it too far with the Rosetta stone so I haven't needed to say the cat under the table or the cat over the table to anyone. I think you would only get that if you have seen the Rosetta stone! I am going to keep practicing and the school gives free lessons in a month. So over time hopefully. Marina, my roommate is being very helpful....

Gosh I have so much more I want to write but need to shower and head back to the city center for another delicious meal:) I will write more later.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I love this! Please keep updating!! Miss you lots, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura,

    Roger, Lindz Derrick and I just read your blog and think it is awesome. Keep writing. We especially want to hear more about school and I want to hear about the way people dress... take some pictures.

    Also How is the new roomate? Are you learning to cook yet? Any hot men??

    Miss and love you the bolg is a great idea.

    Love ya Ellen and Lindz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Staker! LOVE the blog....this is such a great way to share everything with your friends and family and also keep a journal for yourself! Love and Miss you xoxo Collette

    ReplyDelete